Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bisyo: Tabako


It was one of my last nights in Bohol. I was sitting on the front lawn, watching the Perseid meteor shower in the sky, enjoying one of my favorite vices when Engineer Alex walked past me. 


"Mag-nigarilyo diay ka Nett?"
You smoke [cigarettes], Netty?


"Dili," akong gi tubag, bisag nag gunit ko ug tabako.
"No", I replied, even though I was holding a cigar.


What makes a person a smoker? Is such status defined by what that person smokes? 


If smoking - whether it be a cigarette, a cigar, a pipe, or Mary Jane - is a regular routine, then yes, the person in question is a bonafide smoker.


Engineer Alex asked if I smoke cigarettes, literally. Sigarilyo is cigarette, as opposed to tabako, which is  cigar. There is a world of difference between a cigarette and a cigar. 


Cigarette:
1. chemically processed, and therefore
2. cancer-causing.
3. machine-made composition - the paper wrapper and filter.
4. physically addictive because of #1.



Cigar:
1. natural, virgin leaves.
2. grown by mother earth.
3. hand rolled with tender care.
4. smells like my lola (grandmother).








Is cigar-smoking a regular habit for me? During my last vacation in the Philippines I smoked one Don Juan Urquijo, and one 1881, both from La Flor De La Isabella. I haven't smoked another cigar since then. Thus, negating the habit definition for me. 


Back to Engineer Alex's question, "Mag-nigarilyo diay ka Nett?"





I say again: Dili jud, sir!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.