Thursday, March 3, 2022

Last Letter to Dodong




Dodong and I grew up together in Truk. He is a permanent fixture in my memories, as far back as they begin. Our late Lolo Cen used to force feed us – well, me at least, as I loathed it! – V8 from the little can, and made us take naps in his 2nd story quarters at Christopher Inn. As soon as he left, we got into mischief. Once, we tried to moon the neighborhood kids down below through the high window by jumping as high as we could on the bed. Of all the times to get caught, that was the day! I wasn't as nimble as Dodong was, so Lolo discovered us "sleeping" unnaturally straight and rigid on the bed, me with my pants at my ankles. 

Once, his family took some neighborhood kids swimming at the jetty in Tunnuk. I watched in horror as his dad flung him far into the deep water. Flailing like a sinking dog, Dodong splashed his way back to the rocks, and proudly announced "I can swim!"

The last memory I have of him in Truk was in our tweens, at the airport, climbing the flame trees at the Japanese stone memorial. I had just started my hobby of photography, and took pictures of everybody. I had cousin Inday snap a photo of me with the tree in the background. In those days, I had to send the 35mm roll out to be developed. I was aghast to find that Dodong photo-bombed my solo, jumping out from behind the trunk of the tree with his arms extended high, face contorted in a silent scream, as if to scare me. 

We reconnected in Guam. It was a common sight for him to smear camouflage wax on his face, and done Army green fatigues with a heavy pack of survival gear on his back. "If you don't have a can opener, just rub the can hard on a surface of concrete until you can pry the lid open with your knife," he offered. 

He and I made it on a page in the Pacific Daily News once. We were wading in the low tide in Agat, and he found a grenade! We called the Police. The news crew showed up shortly as well. During the interview he pulled me next to him for the picture, and declared "WE found it." (My foot could have been within an inch of it, and all I would have seen was a fist-sized rock.) I never saw or read the article. 

When I moved stateside, we corresponded by pen on paper. He composed with such eloquence and grace, many times covering the front and back of 5 sheets of paper. 

[Kimmie, I wonder if you might find any of my letters and the PDN article amongst his belongings?]

The dawn of Facebook ended our letters. Time and distance came between us. Then, in a manner of euphemism, he left. I imagine that he knew I was coming. 

I composed my last letter to Dodong, and placed it in his right hand. I am nowhere near as eloquent a writer as he was, but I hope it honors him fully.


Dear Dodong,
          What irony to compose my last letter to 
you on a church leaflet, IN church!  The Church 
was never your choice for a place to seek solace, 
peace, or encouragement. The last time we 
prayed together was in song, as we laid in the 
forward hull of the Mary Jane, Lolo Toto’s boat, 
motoring through the lagoon toward Fonukuk, 
“Jones Island”, as Lolo Toto called it. Deep and 
Wide was the song that stands out to me. The 
only other time you mentioned religion in 
my presence was when we ran into each other at 
Circus Bruno in Paseo; you actually sang to me 
this snippet
 
        That's me in the corner
        That's me in the spotlight
        Losing my religion
        Trying to keep up with you
        And I don't know if I can do it
        Oh no, I've said too much
        I haven't said enough
        –R.E.M., 1991
 
If you sought God’s company, you found Him 
elsewhere. In the ocean. In the jungle. In the 
nighttime sky. 
            I relish the memories of our childhood 
together. How glad I am that we shared that 
most impressionable part of our lives. When I 
miss you, I read your letters that spanned 
four years of correspondences. You wrote of 
unrequited love, unaccomplished goals, and 
unreachable dreams. But always, you closed 
with undying hope and positive affirmation. 
For this, I admired you so! Your trust in me 
gave me solace, knowing that I was your 
anchor. Your attention in me gave me peace, 
reminding me that I was important to you. 
Your faith in me gave me encouragement, 
feeling that I too, could take punches.
            Go! Glide into the ocean. Take rest in the 
shade of the jungles! Fly amongst the stars in 
heaven. 
            Go! Be the soldier you wanted to be.
            Know, wherever you are, that I always felt 
your adoration, your loyalty, and your blessing.
 

 
                                Always,
                                Your Loving Cousin in Mischief, 

          and in Adventure!

 



Click Link to Watch Dodong Wendell Kenneth Labella Alba  






.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.