I don't remember ever having been thrown a surprise party. Yesterday I helped throw a surprise party for Palomino's birthday. And I can see now, why perhaps no one has bothered to do one for me. It's stressful!
On the menu for the party: LASAGNA.



The cooks: Alfonsina and Colleen. They were also the coordinators.
They cooked all day Friday, while yours truly sat back and observed.
Well, three would have been a crown over the hot stove!
The party was for Saturday. The coordinators planned to meet at 3pm to plate the food, and decorate. But then, 5-Star Scotty and Palomino showed up at 2:50pm, and stuck around...

I pretended to do something productive while I waited, and waited, and waited... No Palomino, I'm not taking a photo of you, I'm taking a photo of the pitcher [for no reason really, I just need to vent this pent up nervousness and anxiety].
I quickly texted Alfonsina, Colleen, and Henriette (who was out buying the decorations at the last minute): "Palomino is here. DO NOT COME UNTIL I CALL YOU!"

Palomino got bored, and started looking through the cupboards aimlessly. And I prayed "Do not open the fridge, do not open the fridge, dear Lord please do not let him open the fridge." Because the cake is in there.

Finally, at 3:30pm, 5-Star Scotty and Palomino left, after leaving me the lyrics to a Bob Dylan song.
For a tall mocha, tell me the title of the song of the lyrics.

Guests started arriving just as Colleen and Henriette finished up the decorations.
And right at 6:15pm, 20 people greeted Palomino with a surprise at the door.

Here's a tip on how to be a gracious guest: It's time for Minnesotan goodbyes when:

1. The host(ess) starts washing the dishes.

2. The cowboy puts on his boots.

3. 5-Star Scotty wears his sunglasses at 11:57pm.
What, you don't know what a Minnesotan Goodbye is? For example:
The Minnesotan Guest (TMG): Well, I should get going now. I have still have to feed the birds tonight.
The Host: Thanks for coming. Say hi to your birds for me.
TMG: Yeah, Polly had the run of the house today. She got into Suzanne's prize fern plant, and tore it to bits.
The Host: Oh no, not the prize fern! What did Suzanne say?
TMG: Well, she hadn't come home yet when I left.
The Host: What are you gonna do?
TMG: I guess I'm going to have to make it up to her... Alright then, g'night...
The Host: Thanks for coming... Hey, you can take her to the ball game.
TMG: Yeah, I hear the Mariners are two for two.
[The Mariners are Seattle's baseball team.]
The Host: It'll be great!
TMG: Alright then, g'night!
The Host: Thanks for comin'. D'you get enough to eat?
TMG: Oh yeah. That lasagna was delicious!
The Host: You like it? Alfonsina made it! You wanna take some home?
TMG: That'd be great!
[Another 10 minutes go by while TMG get's a plate of lasagna wrapped to go.]
TMG: Alright then, g'night! Thanks for the food.
The Host: Thanks for comin'. Hey, do you want the recipe? I'm sure Suzanne would like to make it at home.
And on, and on, and on, for another hour, until the FINAL goodbye is said once and for all.
Goodbye!








No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.