I ran in Arlyn at Good Friday mass. She's the sweetest girl, with a penchant for incessant conversation. I met her last year, when she was nannying for my nephew Louie. Now she works for an ice cream shop - "Snoopy Ice Cream," she said - in the big city, where she has to wear a uniform, strictly enforced. Any deviation from the dress code is punishable by P50. Now I really wanted to see her at work, wondering if her dress uniform was as rigid as the military's. So the next day I drove into the big city.
In the mall, I looked for Snoopy Ice Cream, searching for the beagle mascot, but I couldn't find it. I asked a nearby kiosk vendor, and she pointed at a kiosk across the aisle.
Lesson No. 2
The adorable baby angel is Merly's first granchild, nicknamed "Undo" (pronounced "Uhn-dooh", which loosely means "little man".
What is Undo's real name? I asked Merly.
"Kit Lance," she replied.
Why "Kit"? Filipinos come up with the most unusual and psychedelic names, mostly ones that combine two or three other names into one, and every now and then names that make you go "Huh?". For instance, I have a cousin name Rusevanchris, which stands for Rustico, Evangeline, Christopher; and Dranreb, "for Bernard", the child's paternal grandfather. Huh?!
Merly answered "that's the baby's father's name."
Still confused, and seeking clarification I asked further "Kit, spelled K-I-T?"
"With a T-H," Merly said rather disdainfully.
Me: (confused) Huh?




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.