Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Child's First Birthday. Party.


I went to a 1st birthday party last weekend. This is Noah. He is Little Brother to a four year-old, son to a young man whom I first met when he was maybe seven years old?, grandson to very close friends of my family whom I took up to call Tito and Tita, and great grandson to my father's childhood friend.



It was very nice to catch up with familiar relatives, and it was entertaining to get familiarized with new characters. A particular conversation that caught my attention was one with a soon-to-be bride and her uncle and aunt. The uncle, whom I've met a handful of times now, is the type with a youthful and playful heart who keeps up with all things macho including guns, cars, and once, even wore what looked like a fighter pilot's jump suit with badges to boot. I don't know what he does, but I know for sure he is not in the military, much less a pilot of any branch of any organization. Just a father and uncle who enjoys a loving banter with his daughters and niece, the bride-to-be.

The aunt, the uncle's sister, shared his playfulness and his sense of fashion, for, just short a beret, she looked the part of an Army drill sergeant, albeit one with a friendly smile and matronly demeanor.

Bride-to-Be: We have a DJ, not a band. 

Uncle: Can I make song requests?

Bride-to-Be: [with a hint of trepidation, holding up a finger for emphasis] Only ONE song!

Uncle: [paused, pondered his request, as if to make sure he chooses THE ONE best song in his arsenal of wedding party songs.]

Aunt: [interjecting with a bright idea] Me, I have only one request... [pause for dramatic effect, and then holding up both hands, palms facing out in exclamation] Endless Love! [beaming with resolution]

Bride-to-Be: Aw, was that your wedding song?

Aunt: M-hm! [nodding with fond recollection]

Uncle: I would like to hear... [poising to deliver a declaration] LOVE HURTS!

The bride-to-be, having known her uncle perhaps her whole life, shook her head admonishingly and changed the subject before her uncle garnered any leeway into his banter.

Now looking to redirect his humor elsewhere, the uncle turned to his own daughter... I like your hair! It's short on one side, and long on the other! To which the daughter responded with disdain, "um, I've only had this haircut for two weeks now!"

At any rate, this was Noah's first birthday party. But I don't think he cared at all that it was in his honor. He didn't like the loud crowd and unfamiliar faces. He clung to his mommy, his grandpa, or Uncle Daniel, and no one else. 








Frankly, I think this celebration was held for the adults. To celebrate the milestone of life's first year. To indulge in the cutest outfits and most colorful interactive toys, to ooh and aah at the very things they cannot use for themselves anymore. To regress into childhood's blissful, inconsequential recklessness! Case in point...






Most importantly, for any islander, whether Micronesian or Filipino, we gather for the food! And with mouths full, sing Happy Birthday, all the while chewing between the lines of the song. (The food tastes better when you talk - or sing - with your mouth full, I swear!)




I look forward to next year's birthday party!


And many mooooooore!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.