Several weeks ago I spoke with my nephew Miko on the phone. Miko lives in Truk Lagoon, where I grew up. We live a whole ocean away from each other, but everytime we talk it's as if we'd never skipped a beat since I first met him 11 years ago.
That's Miko, in the red t-shirt with the grey and black coat. This was the last time I saw him, two years ago. He was nine.
Miko's mom posted this photo of him on Facebook just a few months ago. He is now eleven, and according to him, taller than his mom.
Miko loves to read. He has read all of my J.R.R. Tolkien books, all of the Chronicles of Narnia, the Stephen King books I left in my bedroom the last time I was in Truk, and a lot of Michael Crichton's works.
Out of the blue he asked me if I like ramen.
"Why, yes!" I answered. It brought back memories of me exploring the quaint town of Narita on a crisp spring evening several years ago. I had a ramen dish in a mom n' pop restaurant that I thought was spectacular - the ramen, not the restaurant. Well, the restaurant was as quaint as the bustling little town itself.
"Do you like spicy foods?" he asked next.
Where was he going with this, I thought. "Depends. I like it to burn lightly, not to the point where steam starts coming out of my ears."
"Okay then," he said. "I'll send you my choice ramen bowl."
About a week later, the mail man left a box at my front door.
Preacher was very interested in it.
So was Sonya.
Ah, this is Miko's Choice ramen.
Instant noodles.
Sonya, nooooo! Get atta here!
Just pour hot water...
to the line inside the bowl...
Add the contents of the spice packet...
And let it sit, covered, for three minutes.
As instant as counting from one to ten, you get a hot, spicy ramen meal.
No, Sonya. This is mine! If you want instant spicy ramen noodles you talk to Miko yourself.
















No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.