Monday, January 31, 2011

Fishing in Truk

Remember the post about preparing the fishing lines? Here's the sequel:

FISHING.



The bait, packaged squid. The little black fish is grooper, a very young, baby grooper. It was caught using the squid, that opaque looking blob to the right of it, and eventually used as bait as well.

 





Hand held fishing lines.




I forgot to mention that it is typhoon season. This is a perilous season for seafarers, be it fishermen or voyagers alike. Because without any warning, the sky unleashes torrential squalls with gusts strong enough to ruin an entire morning's worth of hairstyling.
 




All activity comes to a halt, and if you're Bisdak you'll seek shelter from the rain because any splash of it can bring you down with pasmo. Literally translated into English: "windy stomach".  My science training cannot explain how the gale-force winds end up in one's belly.





Suffice it to say that if you're Bisdak, rain will melt you, so you might as well avoid it at all costs from the get go.




Just like tulips in spring, the fisherwomen emerge from their dry shelters.




And fishing carries on as if the squall never was.







In his haste to seek shelter from the melting rain, Miko left his fishing line on the picnic bench.



"Um... Tita N, could you help me with this?..."
  

*Silence.*
"Um... Tita N, I really need your help here..."

*Silence still.*




"Seriously, Tita N! I could really use a hand. You think you can put that camera down for a second?!"


*Snickering to myself... I'm so mean.*



"Thanks for your help, Papa. Why is Tita N so mean?"


Because she loves you.


*Awww!*





In the end, Miko's Dad ended up cutting the line to save the hooks.




And gave Miko his own fishing line.


*Awwww. Gulp. Sob.*
And lo! Miko caught a crab!





"Tita N, um, how do you put it again, do you know why it's called a violin crab?"

*Silence. Yup, me so mean!*
As for Yours Truly's fishing skills... 

Seaweeds!


That's how I know it's time to go home.

That and the fact that the sun is going to bed.


Ah, I love fishing!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.