Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Third January Birthday Yet

A quick history lesson: this is the Seventh Day Adentist School in Neauo, Truk Island. I attended school here from the fifth grade through seventh. I even remember my teachers' names: Miss Hellen from Washington, Mr. Dean from California, and Mr. Cove from Canada. That was eons ago, thus "history". (Yes, I'm that old, and needless to say month added another year to the log.)






My cousin, MJ's, Kyle's, and Lana's Mom goes to church here. This is her extended family. And so I was invited to celebrate yet another January birthday celebration. It was Miss Joy's birthday.





As "required", pancit.





And, spaghetti.



 And the rest is simple "filler".



Comfort food filler.




Crispy chick'n.




 Healthy tofu stirfry.




Simple carbs. =P





Hearty soup.

By the way, at first it baffled me how one can eat a piping hot bowl of soup in this hot humid environment. Then then I had a sip. Then a gulp. And the next thing you know, I'm eating it like it was January in Maine.




















 That's my cousin, MJ's Mom, with her trusty Canon.





And that's Mr. Jace with his trusty PS. (Point and shoot.)














The kids had a great time.








Even the big kids.





Especially this big kid. (He is the School Principal's little brother.)





No wonder MJ's Mom loves it here!




I'll close with another history lesson: MJ's Mom was one of the first students of the SDA Mission School in Truk.

*Yes, cousin. Monkeys grow old too.*
(Inside joke.)







2 comments:

  1. I grew up in this place - kindergarten all the way to eight grade. Only three teachers' names of I could remember, Miss Roberta -2nd grade, Miss Julia-4th grade, & Mr. Bryan- eight grade, and the rest ???? I can't even remember. Anyway, my extended family comes in and out every year -and I just love being with them! And cousin, I'm growing old too...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy joy Riano PunayFebruary 22, 2011 at 5:06 AM

    Hello Te Netty,

    Thank you so much for coming during my 33rd b-day....i didn't expect that we had a special visitor, and its u.Thank you Te for coming and for uploading the super nice photos.Godspeed and God bless u always,thanks for coming last sabbath.Ur always welcome here.

    joy punay

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.